6 Health Benefits of Swimming for Kids you may not know about
There are several health benefits of swimming and this activity has been proven to positively affect children’s health and their further development.
For kids, swimming and feeling comfortable in water is almost as important as walking or doing land activities. It challenges them to deal with a new environment and many situations related to this.
As much as I remember from my infancy, children love playing in water. It’s something natural and instinctual, so parents should encourage this healthy activity.
What are the health benefits of swimming for kids
Experts say that swimming is an excellent activity for children’s evolution, with many benefits on their mental, physical and emotional level:
1. Kids that swim become more intelligent than others
– Children participating in swimming programs have been found to score higher for intelligence and problem-solving. * This is because swimming is a ambidextrous activity which involves both sides of the body and especially of the brain.
Studies have shown that ambidextrous people are more emotionally balanced, adaptable and capable of resolving problems easier. – Source: braincourse.com/ambia.html
2. Kids who swim develop better skills for life
– Children who swim become more self-disciplined, motivated and self-confident to succeed. After all, dealing with water makes them face new mental and psychological challenges.
3. Kids who swim grow stronger and more flexible
One of the main health benefits of swimming comes from water resistance. Water makes the entire body work from head to toe. By advancing in water stroke by stroke, children develop the muscular strength and flexibility.
Unlike any land activity or sport, water also sculpts a child’s body in a harmonious way. Kids who swim not only grow stronger, but they will become more coordinated than others.
4. When swimming, kids are happy
– Besides all the health benefits of swimming, playing in water is fun. This medium makes their motion easy, therefore helping them develop confidence in themselves, which makes them happy.
If you want to really be impressed with the Health Benefits of Swimming for Kids, read this article I found: Making Swim Lessons Accessible for Blind Children
5. When swimming, kids get more oxygen and breathe better
The exercise made with the arms while advancing in water develops upper body muscles. Breathing at the same time increases lung capacity and develops the respiratory system.
6. When swimming and playing in water, kids are also exploring and learning.
– Snorkeling and Scuba diving for instance are excellent ways to encourage children to swim. They are at the same time educational. Children can see fish, and other interesting things – depending on the depth of the water of course…
Water toys like a floating raft with window or a snorkel and mask, will allow kids to safely float and see underwater.