Drinking Mineral Water Benefits – Myths and Reality
You may wonder if there are any health benefits from drinking mineral… The answer is yes there are, but there are also some myths and marketing hypes around this subject.
What is mineral water?
When water runs through underground rocks, minerals such as calcium, sulphur and magnesium dissolve into it. As spring water flows out to the earth’s surface, brings various types and amounts of dissolved minerals.
We can classify the mineral water in two big categories:
- water with low mineral content – also called spring water – is ideal for the daily consumption
- water with high mineral content (also called “mineral water” is the water containing more than 250 parts per million total dissolved solids) – this type of water is good for medical treatments
Myths about the drinking mineral water benefits
There is lot of folklore, and misleading content over internet about the benefits of drinking mineral water.
- It is not true that our body absorbs better the minerals from the water than from food. The minerals contained in water are inorganic, and our body can only absorb organically processed minerals by plants. From water we can barely absorb about 1% of minerals
- If we intake too much minerals from water for a long time we can have kidney problems and other health issues
* The reverse is also true: if we drink water that has been demineralized we can also have severe health problems with our body’s electrolytic system
- It is true that water containing minerals is beneficial in maintaining the electrolytic balance and hydrate our body, but this also depends on supplying our necessary minerals from food
- It is not true that mineral water detoxify our body… simple water helps the body with it’s natural process of detoxification – it doesn’t have to be “San Pellegrino” – just plain tap water will do it.
Mineral water benefits our body in various ways for medicinal purposes
While your daily drinking water should not be highly mineralized, the medical type of water can be the best choice in successfully healing certain ailments. Water that comes natural mineral springs is often used in spa centers all over the world for drinking bathing and inhaling.
In medical centers mineral springs are often recommended to treat a lot of disorders, including problems with the stomach and small intestine such as gastroenteritis, ulcers and constipation. They have been real “Healing Springs” from historic times
Drinking mineral water benefits
Classified based on the mineral content, mineral waters have various health benefits such as:
- Potassium found in some spring water regulates blood pressure and prevents muscle contractions/cramp
- Water rich in calcium strengthens bones and teeth, reducing the risk of osteoporosis
- Sulphur in drinking water can cure chronic gastritis, enterocolitis and intestinal dyspepsia
- Doctors recommend drinking naturally iodinated water for thyroid disorders
- Water rich in magnesium can help support heart, muscle and nerve function, and may prevent hypertension. Magnesium also supports a healthy immune system. – It is found in small amounts in most American mineral waters, but in larger amounts in many European waters, such as Badoit from France and Gerolsteiner from Germany.
- Drinking carbonated spring waters over a 4-week period has also been shown to lower the stomach acidity, which is beneficial to patients with chronic gastritis, inflammation of the duodenum or a stomach ulcer.
Drinking mineral water at the source
One important benefit of mineral water when done directly at the source, is that it brings the ground energy to the surface. Through drinking or bathing we benefit not only from their medicinal qualities but also from free geothermal energy.
Nathaniel Altman the author “Healing Springs” book indicates that for medical purposes, these “healing spring waters” are more efficient when consumed directly at the source.
He states that the fresh mineral water is more beneficial than the bottled water taken from the same spring and processed at a bottling plant. This is because exposure to the air causes oxidation, whereby energy-giving ions are lost from the water. Some minerals and gases oxidize very quickly after leaving the earth, so the time it takes to transport water from source to bottle means that the water is constantly losing the mineral benefits for which it is known.
… But, we don’t need to be sick to drink mineral water 😉 We can consume light mineral water every day – and this what actually the natural spring water is. Find out some of the best mineral water brands you can buy in stores